We all know that it is not that easy to get a job in BHEL and other PSUs, but if we pay enough attention to it, it is not impossible. The interview is 80% specialized and 20% HR related. Questions begin by testing your insights into the electrical framework, drives, machines (AC and DC), force framework, and so on. The subjects can, therefore, be queued up as power frameworks, electrical machines, electrical drives, etc. In case one has already appeared for GATE, the interview tends to be a bit simple. In order to crack any exam, we have to have a basic idea about that particular exam, like the syllabus, questions asked in the last ten years history of conducting that exam, etc.
Also, to crack any interview, proper guidance is a must. And in this article, the intention is to put some light on the kind of interviews that are a part of BHEL’s selection process. For reference, a few experiences with BHEL’s interviews have been shared in this article to closely detect what kind of questions are asked in the interview sessions of the same.
One has to always be aware of the fact that in such examinations like that of BHEL and most of the other PSUs, the main emphasis is on questions that are technical in nature, therefore while preparing for such examinations students should have their main focus on questions of a technical origin. Also, most of these examinations are set to be attempted in English medium, so there is a continuous need for the students to keep brushing up their English writing and sentence building skills.
BHEL has installed gears of more than 90,000 MW capacity- to serve the emerging utility needs, and address the captive and industrial clients. They have supplied more than 2,25,000 MVA of transformer limit and other gears working in transmission and distribution capacitated up to 400 kV (AC and DC).
Also, they have been the supplier of more than 25,000 Motors with Drive Control Systems to Power ventures, Petrochemicals, Refineries, Steel, Aluminium, Fertilizer, Cement plants, and so on. Other than that, they have successfully supplied Electric Traction Systems and AC/DC locos to control more than 12,000 km of Railway lines, and more than a million valves to power plants and many other diverse industries.
Following are some of the Interview Experiences from students who have previously appeared for the same:
- What is your name and what is its literal meaning?
- Which year did you complete your Engineering in and what sort of areas you were involved with post-completion?
- What does the company where you are currently employed in manufactures?
- What have been the best achievements in your life till now?
- What is the role of BHEL?
- What are the equipments used in a power plant?
- What do you understand by the term ‘critical temperature’?
- What is a Supercritical boiler?
- What rank did you achieve in your GATE Examination?
- What is the difference between Regeneration and Reheating? Which one is more beneficial?
- Explain the significance of the Rankine Cycle?
- What will you do if you are asked to join any of the PSUs other than BHEL?
- What is the triple point of water?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- What salary are you getting presently from your current employers?
- Why do you want to quit working with your current organization? Why do want to associate yourself with BHEL?
- How about you give us a peek into who you are?
- What are the headlines today from the city you belong?
- What is the basic difference between a PSU and a Private Organization? Explain your opinion.
- Have you also been looking for a job abroad?
- What is the current equation for the series RLC circuit?
- What do you understand by microprocessors?
- What is the most important decision that you have ever made?
- What is the OSI model?
- What is the difference between CI and SI?
- Explain how heat is transferred in boilers?
- What is an ideal job according to you?
- Give me a brief introduction about yourself.
- How many layers are there in a computer network? Explain.
- Would you be comfortable with relocating to a state different from the one you are currently living in?
- What do you understand by the term ‘continuous Integration system’?
- What can be the tools of improvement for enterprise development?
- Did you enrol yourself in any certificate courses post the completion of your engineering studies? Why?
- What is the PCB design? Explain with the help of a diagram.
- Did you participate in any other PSU Interviews besides BHEL? Share your experience.
- What is your name and where are you from?
- What is your Gate Rank?
- Did you join any coaching centres to prepare for GATE or any other PSU examinations?
- Since you belong to a business family, why is it that you are not joining your own family business instead of working under other organizations?
- What do you understand from scavenging?
- What is the concept of supercharging?
- What project did you work upon back in college?
- Explain the mechanism of heat transfer?
- What is the Turbine?
- Tell me about your family.
- Why did you take a gap for two years?
- Explain the project you worked upon in the final semester of your college education.
- How many marks did you score in GATE?
- Give me some insights on the southern part of India? Describe some of the relevant sites and locations in there.
- What is your favourite subject?
- Where can we apply the concepts of fluid mechanics?
- What do you understand by a valve? What are it’s uses and applications?
- Explain the process of manufacturing gears?
- What is viscosity?
- What are your hobbies?
- Explain the Carnot cycle?
- Explain the concept of conduction?
- What is Bokaro city famous for?
- Describe your experience with industrial training.
- Draw the layout of your plant.
- What are the tools used for quality control?
- What is your Gate score?
- What is the total power capacity in India?
- How are DTSI and CRDI technologies different from each other?
- What is a SCRAM jet engine?
- What is the adiabatic coefficient?
- What are the components used in a Lathe?
- What is the basic difference between a centrifugal pump and reciprocating pump?
- Explain the zeroth law of thermodynamics.
- What do you understand by the Brayton cycle?
- What is a pump?
- What is the concept of a Newtonian fluid?
- What is the basic difference between a pump and a turbine?
- What is the triple point of water?
- What do you mean by a pure substance?
- What is coupling?
- Give me an insight into your family background?
- Explain the Gibbs phase rule with reference to its applicability to numerical questions.
- What were your favourite subjects at the time you were studying engineering?
- Describe an engine? Which engine is heavier in your understanding and why?
- What is a compressor?
- Describe your understanding of a venturi meter?
- What is the basic concept of FEM?
- How would you explain the term ‘hardworking’?
- What is the difference between hot rolling and cold rolling?
- Is GST applicable on buying of petrol? Why?
- What do you understand by ‘a ton of refrigeration’?
- What is the difference between aluminium and steel?
- What is an IC engine?
- If you receive a call from both IOCL and BHEL, which would you choose and why?
- What do you mean by knocking?
- Having completed your college education in 2015, what is it that you have been busy doing all these years?
- What is the concept of hardness?
- What project did you work upon while studying in college?
- What is a Robot? What are the different types of Robots?
- What do you mean by AC phase?
- Calculate the damping coefficient?
- How much voltage can a single PV generate?
- Which battery is used in a solar power plant?
- What do you understand by the term ‘winding resistance’?
- Have you ever visited the premises of BHEL?
Some insights on BHEL:
BHEL is currently the biggest Engineering and assembling venture in India in the vitality related/framework part. BHEL was set up over 40 years back, having introduced the indigenous heavy electrical equipment industry in India – a fantasy that has been adequately acknowledged with a commonly perceived reputation of execution. The organization has been winning benefits consistently since 1971-72 and delivering profits from 1976-77.
BHEL fabricates more than 180 items within 30 significant item gatherings and takes into account central areas of the Indian Economy viz., Power Generation and Transmission Industry, Transportation, Renewable Energy, and the likes. The wide system of BHEL’s 14 assembling divisions, four power sector provincial focus points, more than 100 undertaking destinations, eight assistance places, 18 local workplaces and one auxiliary unit empowers the company to quickly serve its clients and furnish them with appropriate items, frameworks and administrations productively and at conducive costs.
The elevated level of value and dependability on its items seen today is because of the accentuation on configuration, designing and assembling in accordance with the global principles by means of securing and adjusting to the best innovations brought forward by the driving organizations on the planet, combined with the advances created in its own R&D focus points.
BHEL has gained confirmations to the Quality Management Systems (ISO 9001), Environmental Management Systems (ISO 14001) and Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems (OHSAS 18001) and at the same time is focussing well on its excursion towards Total Quality Management.
As the end of this piece approaches, we sincerely hope that this article will guide you towards a better performance in your upcoming BHEL interview. See you shortly in the next article where we will talk about the interview experiences associated with some other noteworthy PSUs.