A night of good sleep is much needed after an exhausting schedule, but awful sleeping patterns are becoming a major headache to ignore anymore.
The reported prevalence of insomnia is 9% in the general population, and about 30% suffer from occasional insomnia (by Neurology India). Hard to fell asleep, stay awake, grogginess, mood swings are troublesome.
Not all these are severe insomnia. Aside from having consistent sleep hygiene, safer methods like sleep gummies are gaining popularity. Sleep gummies are a fun chewable and safer alternative to melatonin supplements for faster sleep even in India. Melatonin based gummies with calming herbs claim to improve sleep duration and quality.
So here is how they work, safety, and the best options available in India:
How do sleep gummies work?
These gummies are packed with melatonin, L- Theanine, and soothing botanical ingredients such as chamomile lavender to boost the natural sleep cycle and calming your senses down. They are useful for short-term naps or long sleep. Ensure sticking to the recommended serving size.
Melatonin- Melatonin is a natural hormone that promotes sleep by indicating the brain when the sun goes down. It influences the sleep cycle. Human bodies produce melatonin naturally before 2-3 hours of bedtime, and it’s at its peak around midnight.
A melatonin supplement can fix problems related to a sleeping cycle disorder and provide a quick nap in an emergency. However, your intake should be within 1-5 mg, depending on age. Try to avoid in case of pregnancy or experiencing other hormonal issues. Over 10 mg is unnecessary. Stop, if not useful.
L-Theanine- L Theanine is a well-known amino acid that is present in tea leaves (green tea, black tea, oolong tea). It elevates brain chemicals like GABA and serotonin and dopamine, providing a calming effect after 30-40 minutes of intake.
Besides lowering stress and anxiety level, it helps for a good night’s sleep. And control high blood pressure levels. Combined with caffeine improves cognitive skills.
There are no direct side effects that come out in researches, but we recommend an intake of less than 400 mg. But, including natural sources like tea, coffee in your diet is completely fine:
- Camomile- a popular herb packed with antioxidants (apigenin) and anti-inflammatory properties has proven beneficial to the quality of sleep and insomnia.
- Lavender- familiar name in aromatherapy and anxiety. Lavender tea is also a well-known beverage.
- Valerian- Root extract of a flowering plant named valerian. Most studies have shown a positive result of valerian during stress and insomnia. Not recommended in pregnancy.
- Ashwagandha- Known as Indian ginseng is an ancient herb with multiple effects of stress and depression. Over consuming can cause stomachache.
The 4 Best sleep gummies in available India are:
1. Olly sleep gummies in India
- Count per pack- 50
- Serving size- 2
- Key ingredients- melatonin (3mg), L-Theanine (100mg), camomile, and passionflower extract
- Blueberry flavoured NSF certified gummies have been customers’ favourite for a while for its unique blend to boost the sleep cycle with added calmness.
- Olly sleeps gummies side effects – short-term sleepiness, stomach cramps, nausea, but they are uncommon.
2. Sugarbear sleep vitamines
- Count per pack–60
- Serving size- 2
- Key ingredients- melatonin (6mg), L-Theanine (50mg), lemon balm extract, valerian root
- Formulated vegan gummies for men and women age 13 and over to regulate the sleep cycle, promoting peaceful calmness.
- Sugarbear sleep vitamins side effects- may cause drowsiness. Not recommended while working or driving.
- Not FDA approved, not for diagnosis or cure insomnia.
3. Naturyz Sleep Tight Gummy jelly
- Count per pack- 60
- Serving size- 2
- Key ingredients- Melatonin (6mg), L-theanine (100mg), chamomile and ashwagandha extracts
- India’s very own sleepless night solution with peach flavour. Iso certified non-habit forming gummies with botanicals provide better sleep.
- Sleep aid, not intended to diagnose insomnia
4. Zarbee’s Naturals Children’s sleep
- Count per pack -50
- Serving size- 1
- Key ingredients- melatonin (1mg)
- Specially planned for children’s sleepless nights, uneasiness, and grogginess issues. Absolutely drug dairy and preservative-free, these gummies are by far parents’ favourite—a tasty berry-flavoured non-habit forming a way for a peaceful sleep.
- Only for children because of the small dose of melatonin
When do these gummies work?
Melatonin gummies can work for:
- Sleep cycle disorder for adult and children
- Inconsistent and irregular sleeping patterns
- Problems related to stress and anxiety
- Quick short time nap
How long these gummies take to work?
Melatonin can start working after 30 min-60 min. Acts within 2 hours depending on the overhaul health conditions.
How much do you need? Are they safe?
Best to follow guidelines of the chosen product and maintain the right serving size. Melatonin intake should be between 1-5 mg. For adults, doses can be between 1-10 mg, but we don’t need more than. Higher than 30 mg would be very harmful. Long-term intakes need medicinal advice.
More than guided intake can cause:
- Stomach ache
- Loss of appetite
- Vivid dreams
By far sleep gummies contain little melatonin which is drug and preservatives free, making it nonhabitual, unlike other sleep medications. Hence harmless in most cases. But results can differ for pregnant women and persons experiencing other hormonal issues. In cases of any running medications, consult your doctor first.
When to stop using it?
Gummies can be helpful, but they are not a solution for every sleep problem. If your sleeping disorder does not associate with sleep cycle problems, then melatonin gummies might not work at all.
Rather, continuing can mask the actual cause. Other treatments such as physiotherapy, CBT-I, meditation would be better. If you did not feel any improvement after 2-3 weeks, then stop using it any further.
How to get the best results?
- The sleeping environment work as a trigger indicating our brain about sleep time. Ensure to lower down the lights if possible
- Keep your laptop, tablet, phone away before going to sleep.
- Avoid caffeine products late at night.
- Make your sleeping time, both consistent and realistic.
- Don’t overstress yourself.
- Take a walk before going to bed.
The last thing is melatonin sleep gummies are not some miracle way to knock yourself out whenever you feel to. Everyone needs individual treatment as age, health conditions, sleeping patterns matters. Be consistent without self-adjusting doses can help you get the desired result.