India is an incredibly vast country known for its incredible versatility, culture, religion, language, and boldness. India is a country where more than 19,500 languages have been spoken whereas, 22 are the main languages. However, Hindi is the mother tongue and also used as the official language in many states of India.
Administratively, India has 28 states with 8 union territories, and each state has its own charm with its different culture. Meghalaya is situated in the North-Eastern region of India with beautiful places to visit. The Northeast Indian region is popularly known as the “seven sisters of India, ” consisting of 7 Northeast states.
Northeast India is known for its amazing food and women’s power. The rights of women in Northeast India are the same as in the entire country, but women here in Shillong have a different and more Western lifestyle, which differentiates them from the rest of India.
Shillong is the capital of Meghalaya. Women in Shillong are known for their business-running qualities and the reason there are legit businesswomen. In most of the states in India and the rest of the world, once the women get married, they have to shift to their husband’s home, but Meghalaya has completely reversed the ritual. In Meghalaya, once a man gets married, they leave their houses and go to their in-laws; this shows how versatile and unique our India can be.
Travelling and exploring the world, natural beauties and human-made wonders attract almost every human being on this planet to travel whereas, Meghalaya is one such ideal place to explore the amazing natural beauties and most heavenly beautiful places in India that you must visit. No one can regret visiting Meghalaya and even the seven sisters states of India as it’s a place with a rich heritage, natural wonders and completely different cultural practices than the rest of India.
The 10 Most Popular and must Visit Places to visit in Meghalaya are:
- Nohkalikai Falls is the tallest waterfall in India. It is 1115 feet tall and is located near Cherrapunji. The lush greenery, fresh oxygen, blue sky, and white waterfall make it a sight for sore eyes. The waterfalls have all their nature’s charm.
- Elephant Waterfall falls in the middle of a dense forest, making the waterfall much more natural and interesting. You can track and camp and can enjoy a bath in the natural lap of these falls. The crystal-clear water will make you transparent as well. Indeed, the soothing of calmness, away from all the city noise, will heal you.
- Seven Sister or Nohsngithiang Falls are like the seven state sisters. Seven segmented waterfalls fall here from one rock mountain. They are also one of the highest waterfalls in India. The waterfalls are situated in a dense forest, and as with every other waterfall, it will catch your heart.
- Umiam Lake is a vast lake that covers 221 square Kilometre. Nature is said to be at the peak of its beauty at this place. You can camp near the lake and can enjoy the rising and setting of the golden sun. You can also enjoy boating or Yachting here.
- Rainbow Falls is one of the most beautiful places near Nongriat village in Cherrapunji. You will also witness living root bridges on your way to the falls. These falls are perfect for staying calm in nature’s lap and taking a nap. The falls have taken their name from their rainbow-like reflections in the bottom falls, which will mesmerize you.
- Thadlaskein Lake is located near Jowai and is said to be sustained by a natural spring. It is a perfect picnic spot. The golden reflection of the sun on the water with green trees around makes the spot so beautiful.
Natural Habitats for sightseeing:
- Double Living Root Bridge is the most admirable and interesting place you should visit. It is a natural bridge which is made of roots of trees. It is a perfect example manmade-natural bond. People of Meghalaya provide the route of the roots to grow in a particular way to make this bridge, and every type of flora and fauna lives around the bridge.
- If you want to taste the total traditional food of Meghalaya and want to experience their livelihood, take a night rest in Mawlynnong Village. The village is known for its cleanliness and Hygiene. You will find Living root bridges in this village.
- Also, as the village is established at the Indo-Bangladesh border, you can view Bangladesh from the point “Sky View Point”.
- Umngot River also lies in the village called Dawki, which is at the Indo Bangladesh border. However, the river is known for its crystal-clear water. You can look at the surface of the river clearly, indeed the shadow of your boat. The river is 15 feet in depth.
- CherraPunji is known for its heavy and continuous rainfall and breathtaking views. The view is from the top of the mountain valley. The green surroundings with waterfalls and rain make this place heavily wettest place of all times. So, don’t forget to carry a raincoat with you, or else at least a polyethene for mobile phone and cash.
- Caves are mysterious and historical. Mawsmai Caves is one of the most accessible caves in Meghalaya and the most admired landmark. The beautiful cave is known for its limestone manner, waterfall, and its history.
- Krem Liat Prah is the longest natural cave in India. It is 34 km long and known for its own habitat while growing into more connected caves. It is famous among explorers. And is one of the most natural wondrous caves.
- Siju caves, also known as the bat cave, is the third-longest cave in India. It is known for its finest river passages in the world. It has different species of bat living in it. The cave has magnificent limestone rock formations.
- Ka Bri Ki Synrang is also known as Garden of Caves, is a park containing breath-taking views of caves. It is located in a small village called Laitmawsiang. There are 14 waterfalls with the cleanest water you will ever find anywhere else between dense forests and caves. Continuous rains have shaped the rocks and created the best of the park.
- Don Bosco Museum is the history of the context of Meghalaya. It is one of the largest museums in Asia. It will walk you through the culture of Northeast India. The museum has 7 floors showing different artefacts, handicrafts, and weapons.
- The Air Force Museum will give you fascinating insights into the history of the Indian Air Force. You will find photographs from Indo-China and Indo-Pakistan Wars. Indeed, the models of aircraft, missiles, and rockets.
If you are a wildlife enthusiast, do visit the Balpakram National Park or Nokrek national park. Balpakram national park is known for its wide range of exotic flora and fauna. You will find tigers, elephants, leopards, deer, golden cats, etc. The park is also known as “The Land of Spirits.”
Police Bazar is the main market of Shillong. If you love shopping and want to buy something of the culture of Meghalaya Police Bazaar is the place for you. You will get the items and hotel there as well at affordable prices.
If you are an archaeology enthusiast, do visit “Nartiang Monoliths“. Nartiang Monoliths are said to be the largest collection of monoliths in one place. Jaintia hills are known to be the home to the world’s tallest monoliths. The monoliths were at least 500 years ago.