Salt, this ingredient has a vital role in everyone’s diet pattern, because without the salt in food it makes it tasteless. Many have the habit of including this salt as an additional taste giver, so when you see in many homes in dining table they use salt, pepper in there, this ingredient used as a taste enhancer. Thus salt is must essentially without this salt in food, the food becomes flavorless.
Our human body also requires a sufficient amount of sodium to keep it survive. To maintain a good volume of blood sodium is required in the diet. To maintain good acid-base balance this dietary sodium is essential. To maintain the normal function of cell this sodium is must, also this sodium helps in the transmission of nerve impulses. The World health organization recommends dietary salt intake of 5gm/ day, 1.1 gram to 3.3 grams of salt in the diet is required to perform day to day’s function.
When a person has higher salt intake in his diet that leads to hypertension, cardiovascular diseases and stroke. Low sodium diet is recommended in heart failure, renal failure and in cirrhosis of the liver.
Best Ways to lower the Sodium Level in Diet:
- Try to include lentils and pulses in your diet because they are lower in sodium and enriched with protein, folate, potassium, phosphorous and fiber.
- Avoid processed meats like sausages, luncheon meats, hot dogs, salted fish, bacon and frozen dinners.
- Opt for fruits and vegetables that are available for seasonal and fresh in appearance and texture. Choose how much ever fresh vegetables and fruits in your diet.
- Avoid the canned and tinned vegetables and fruits since they are loaded with plenty of sodium.
- Try to take tomato sauce and ketchup in fewer amounts.
- Milk products like paneer, fresh milk; curd is loaded with lesser amount of sodium in it. Try to include this and avoid the cheese based foods.
- In the real natural form whole grains and cereals are seems to be the healthiest option. Breakfast made from this type of cereals is really healthy.
- Croissants, doughnuts, ready to eat meals are loaded with plenty of sodium, so try avoiding it.
- If we have a keen look, snacks are the way where our body is loaded with excess amount of sodium through it. Salted nuts, potato chips, saltered buttery popcorn, namkeens are higher in sodium content which has to be eliminated from our diet. Try to pick a healthy choice option of snacking as nuts and seeds plainly.
- When getting any product from market check the food label about how much sodium does it contain, and then try to incorporate it.
- Generally, when you sweat a lot people think there is a loss of more sodium, but they lose, the more amount of water from the body, since dehydration occurs and never confuse your mind with excess sweat and loss of sodium in higher proportions.
If you like reading my article kindly do share it with your friends and family members on social media, thanks for taking time to read out my article. time to read out my article.